The classic recipe having a couple of modern, fresh, signature twists. The sauce is fast and simple and utilizes kitchen staples. It’s full of flavor without any added sugar. All of the sweetness originates from our ace in the hole, apricot preserves.
We advise steaming the cabbage leaves to ensure they are workable, but you may also freeze the cabbage as a means to make sure they are pliable enough to unveil with planning. See instructions below.
- 160min Duration
- 120min Prepare Time
- 40min Prep Time
- 6-8 Servings
Cabbage and Stuffing
- 1 (4-pound) mind eco-friendly cabbage
- 1 pounds ground meat
- cup uncooked grain
- 1 small onion, ( cup) grated
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic clove powder
- teaspoon kosher salt
- teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- two tablespoons extra virgin essential olive oil, for example Colavita
- 1 medium onion, ( cup) finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomato plants
- 1 (18-ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound beef bones (optional)
- Bring a sizable (10-12 quart) pot water to some boil.
- Remove cabbage core having a sharp knife.
- Using tongs, place mind of cabbage in simmering water and prepare for six minutes. Turn cabbage over and prepare another six minutes, until foliage is just tender.
- Lightly remove in the pot, devote a bowl, and hang aside until awesome enough to deal with, about 10 mins. Lightly remove leaves of cabbage.
- Slice off tough stem at the end outer leaves of every cabbage leaf. (You are able to chop any remaining cabbage and put in pot of sauce).
- While cabbage is simmering, combine ground meat, grain, grated onion, cup tomato paste, garlic clove powder, pepper and salt in a tiny mixing bowl. Place, covered, in fridge until prepared to fill cabbage. (You may make the filling mixture as much as 24 hrs before filling cabbage leaves).
- Inside a Nederlander oven heat evoo over medium heat. Add onions and saut until softened. Add garlic clove and saute two minutes.
- Add remaining tomato paste, crushed tomato plants, apricot preserves, beef broth, salt and beef bones (if using), provide a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once sauce is simmering, prepare cabbage rolls:
- Place cup of ground meat filling towards the end finish of just one cabbage leaf and roll upwards so meat is included by cabbage. Fold right and left corners toward the middle and then roll until sealed. Repeat with remaining meat and cabbage leaves.
- Lightly lay cabbage rolls, seam side lower, into simmering sauce and simmer for 1 hrs inside a covered pot. You may also bake the stuffed cabbage inside a covered pot or baking dish, for 1 hrs inside a preheated 350°F oven.
Serve hot immediately or store, covered, within the fridge for approximately 48 hrs or perhaps in the freezer for 2 several weeks.
CABBAGE PREP NOTE:
You may also prep cabbage leaves for stuffing by freezing the mind of cabbage overnight within the freezer. Remove frozen cabbage and put in large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and thaw in fridge, another couple of hrs. Once cabbage is defrosted, proceed with recipe.