This publish could have affiliate links. Please visit my affiliate disclosure for more information.
This easy creamed corn recipe makes a person cozy and scrumptious side dish! It’s rather easy to create this traditional side dish on your own.
You actually can’t fail with butter and cream for me. I stored sneaking bites of the classic side dish although it was cooking. All in the experimentation.
I don’t typically publish lots of sides on here, however i figured the time had come for many creamed corn. It’s ideal for an anytime side dish, but it’s ideal for the holiday season or perhaps a BBQ side.
As with any classic dish, everybody appears to obtain their own method of which makes it. I attempted a few methods, and that i find that one the simplest. The secrets of success with this particular recipe are:
- To actually whisk the half-and-half and roux (butter + flour) together completely therefore the flour dissolves correctly.
- To allow the corn simmer away lengthy enough and also at a minimal enough heat.
Both of these steps will make sure the sauce thickens correctly and also the corn kernels have enough time to plump correctly. Using half-and-half makes this method simpler. It’s less thick and calorific than pure cream, it provides you with a jump towards thickening the sauce, all while as being a bit simpler to utilize than heavy cream with this particular recipe.
Steps to make creamed corn
- Inside a large pot, create a roux using the butter and flour
- Whisk within the half-and-half and seasonings until smooth
- Include the corn and allow it to arrived at a boil
- Prepare before the sauce has reduced and also the corn is great and plump (about 15-twenty minutes)
- Season generously with salt & pepper.
You don’t need much to create good creamed corn. I suggest using frozen corn should you can’t find fresh because it’s frozen in the peak of ripeness. Canned corn is alright (heck I really like the stuff and try to keep some within my kitchen), but you’ll improve results with frozen corn.
Creamed corn recipe tips:
- I love to add red pepper cayenne for this dish. Only a pinch provides it with that extra something-something. It won’t result in the dish spicy or anything. Need it spicy? Add greater than a pinch, or slice some jalapenos and add them – I’ve seen lots of recipes do that.
- The garlic clove powder also provides it with some extra flavor, but you can let it rest out should you don’t such as the flavor.
- Some recipes for creamed corn include additional sugar. I don’t do that. Should you choose much like your creamed corn even sweeter, you can give a teaspoon approximately, however i really don’t think it is necessary.
- If you wish to add much more thickness/alter the feel a little, take about a mug of the cooked creamed corn and blend up, adding it to the pot. Or, make use of a stick blender in the actual pot to combine a lot of it up.
- For re-heating this recipe, re-heat it around the stove on low heat, stirring from time to time, or perhaps in the microwave in 30-second increments (stir among).
- If using fresh corn, I’d use 8 ears approximately. If using canned corn, I’d try 2 (15 fluid ounce) cans or whatever’s nearest towards the frozen corn amount. Make sure to drain the cans well.
Would you like creamed corn? Any special methods you’ve learned through the years?
Questions? Tell me within the comments below.